Blogging is about giving more than it is about getting.
Hello friends…I was exploring yesterday to learn new recipes that use fruits in innovative way to create delicious and healthy dishes. The one I’ve got for you today is going to use JACKFRUIT. In hindi we call it as Kathal. The jackfruit is a fruit that is native to South and Southeast Asia and is apparently quite popular in the tropical locations where it grows. It has a really distinct flavor.
Jackfruit is enormous and prickly on the outside. When unripe (green), it is remarkably similar in texture to chicken, making jackfruit an excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. Jackfruit is said to be the largest tree borne fruit in the world. The best part of the fruit is that even its seeds have a high nutritional value.
Best part to cook Jackfruit or kathal, is to first select it. Jackfruit can also be purchased frozen, dried, or canned. But it’s always best to buy fresh ones form Vegetable market. You can ask the seller to cut open the green color or yet not ripe Kathal, which is white or pale yellow color from inside. As the fruit ripens, it will turn orange and wont be much stingy.
PS: Also many people consider Kathari instead of Kathal. Kathari is small in size wrt to outer diameter of Kathal.
Storage: Jackfruits turn brown and deteriorate quickly after ripening. Hence it is always advisable to wrap it in a plastic bag and keep it in refrigerator. Use it fresh as soon as possible to avoid any kind of spoilage.
Why to eat Jackfruit ? Jackfruit contains many vitamins and minerals, and offers numerous health benefits. It can be helpful in curing cancer, ulcers and indigestion. It’s a very good source of potassium and good source of vitamin A, C, and certain B vitamins, and minerals like calcium, zinc, and phosphorous.
- 750 gm of Jackfruit (after sliced into small pieces)
- 6-7 tsp. olive oil
- 3 onion, chopped
- 2 tomato mashed
- ¼ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp. ground cumin (sabut zeera)
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala
- ½ tbsp. Dhaniya Powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- Get the Jackfruit cut open from vegetable seller into small pieces as shown. Ele you can buy it full and cut it at home, by applying oil to you hand and knife, as it is very stingy.
- Once you get it cut, remove the seeds, and can store it in polythene in refrigerator. It os much nutritional value and can be boiled to add into Salads or sauces.
- Wash the remaining jackfruit in running water & remove the core.Keep it aside for some time for water to drain out completely.
- Place the pan on high flame with 6-7 tbsp of oil. Add the jackfruit , which were kept aside. Stir & fry till its color changes to yellow brownish. Once done remove it from pan leaving behind access oil
- Chop the onions (big/small depending on your taste). Saute them in this pan (having oil) over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes or until translucent, then add the garlic garlic paste and saute a minute more.
- Add mashed tomatoes to it and again let it saute for 7-10 mins.
- Once the thick paste is ready, add the fried jackfruit to it. Cover the pan and let the pan be on low flame for 10 mins so Jackfruit absorbs the taste
- Check it , if jackfruit is soft now. If not add lil water (1/2 cup) and again place the lid. Continue keeping the pan on low flame, until Jackfruit is cooked and absorbed max of curry.
Now your dish is ready to be served with Roti or poori.
Keep enjoying the taste of life.
Follow me on Zomato
NEW LAUNCH: SAMSUNG GALAXY C9 PRO – Open for Pre-order , click the image below (Release Date: 20th Feb) –6 GB RAM, 4000 mAh Battery, Gold & Black variants