Gajar ka Halwa is a light nutritious dessert with less fat than many other typical South Asian desserts. The dessert is traditionally eaten during all of the festivals in India, mainly on the occasion of Diwali.It has a medium shelf life so its always better to prepare little and consume early.
As per Wiki, In 300 grams of gajar halwa there are 268 calories (76 come from fat, 180 from carbohydrate and 16 from protein). It can be prepared easily usin g microwave or pressure cooker but i dont like that taste, since gajjar doesnt get enough time to soak and dry. To add rich taste to your halwa, so that its melts in mouth, cook it in milk, and add khoya at end.
So let me share my recipe ,which is very easy and taught to me by my Mom and grandma.
Time to cook : 1.5hrs
- 2kg carrot (गाजर)
- 400 gm Khoya (400 ग्राम खोया)
- 250 gm Sugar (चीनी)
- ½ litre milk (1/2 लीटर दुध)
- 50 gm each of almond, nuts & raisins (50 ग्राम कटी हुई बादाम, काजू ,किशमिश)
- 1 spoon cardamom powder (इलायची )
Method of Preparation:
- Peel, wash and then grate the carrots. You can grate it manually using grating tool or you can use food processors to ease out your work. (take 15mins)
- Heat a pan and put the grated carrot and cook on medium flame till the raw smell disappears. (approx. 20-25 mins). Don’t hurry to go to step 3. Let water evaporate properly so that carrot can consume Milk nicely in next step. If you leave carrots slightly wet then Milk will not be properly consumed by carrot and it will not melt properly in mouth at the end.
- Add milk and boil on low flame till thick. You can put a lid over your pan and relax for sometime. It will take minimum 20 mins. You can stir in between so that carrot doesn’t stick to your pan.
- Once it starts thickening ,add sugar and stir. Cook on low flame for further thickness. When you add sugar, it will again leave lot of water, so cook evenly to let water evaporate. This step again takes 15-20 mins. Stir in between.
- Meanwhile grate khoya and keep aside.
- Once you see carrots are dried (least wet), add Khoya, which you have grated before.
- Continue to cook and stir the carrot mixture till it dries.
- Add cardamom powder and stir.
- Finally garnish with almond, nuts and raisins.
Carrot Halwa or Gajjar ka Halwa is ready. Serve hot
The beauty of Parsi delicacies lies in its simplicity yet the perfect innovative way to braid together Indian and international influences. The assorted mix of Gujarati, Irani, Portuguese and even Goan influences, not only makes the cuisine eclectic but also very interesting. Luckily Cyber-Hub in Gurgaon is dotted with a lovey Parsi food restaurant at ground floor, famously known as SBOW (Soda Bottle Opener Wala).
This salubrious café is quaint, specializing in all Parsi delicacies especially doing wonders with egg dishes. The antique wooden panels and mirrors, bentwood chairs and glass-topped tables with red&white crisscross, don’t seem to have changed which give its a stereotypical look.It’s mostly peopled by friends & relatives of cyber hub crowd but yes now a days its attracting people form different places because of its food. Parsi Omelette is called “PORO”. They have launched yummy egg dishes like the world-famous Eggs Kejriwal and Eggs Bheeda par eeda.
We kickstarted our saturday breakfast with sunshine morning at SBOW. We came with a thought process to try maximun of their newly launched BF dishes. Me being a vegetarian/eggitarian,thought of laying back but after going through their foodies menu (full of exotic food descriptions) , i had a big smile on my face. So here a short review of my experience with BAWA breakfast 🙂
- Navsari-style French toast (4/5) – It was a parsi-style french toast spiced with wedding pickle, cream and plums.
- Bharuchi Paneer Akuri (5/5) – This was a showstopper dish for me, as it tasted out of this world. soo tempting and lip smacking scrumptious. In simple words, it was a paneer bhurji but yes in a innovative way.
- Chicken chili Cheese pav (4/5) – This was homemade pao’s topped with tomato sauce , chilli, cheese and chicken. Tasted good.
- Eggs Kejriwal (4/5) – We tried it just to see their innovative way but found it a common dish. Its a mushroom cheese toast.
- Raasta Sandwich (3.5/5)– It tasted fine, but can be improved. baked in homemade multigrain bread stuffed with tomato, cucumber, lettuce and beetroot slices.
- Angry Poro (5/5) – This was again a eggeterian Showstopper dish. Parsi style omelette with red chutney, spring onion and bharli mirchi.
- Meaty Poro (5/5)- similarly like above it has flavors of ham, bacon and cheddar cheese
- Masala fries (5/5)– They tasted so good because of their spices. They use home made spcies 🙂
In Smoothies, i tried my hand on Bawi’s Detox, which is a refreshing drink made of Raspberry , orange juice and Parsley. As the name suggest its a perfect detox and has different taste wrt to other drinks like Masala Lemonade, Beetroot smoothies etc. To try Irani dish the best side drink is Chai or coffee, so here we tried Irani Chai (5/5) and Phateli Coffee (5/5).
Lastly in Deserts we tried, Coconut & Raisin Cake (5/5), Double chocolate chip cake (4/5) and Mawa Cake (5/5).
This place is best for food lovers and also to see the skilled expertise servers which being impaired are best in their own way !! Hats off to them 🙂
You can find this place on Zomato !!
Here i am with the quick, simple and yet healthy breakfast recipe.As we all know Sooji is a balanced food. Its also called Rava, like Rava Idli/dosa. It gives great energy, and is vital for important body functions. Sooji Is also good for diabetic people or those who wish to lose weight, since sooji or semolina is made from durum wheat (hard variety) and not the usual soft wheat which is used in bread making.Sooji is often used for making pastas, porridge or upma.Its counted in Healthy staple foods, but when taken in limited amount.
Today we will discuss Sooji Bread recipe.Its my Mother-inlaw’s recipe and she taught me to cook it.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup Sooji/ Rava
- 1/2 cup Milk (basically Malai)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Capsicum
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 1 large Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilly, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Oil, for shallow frying
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 tbsp Black Pepper
- Take sooji , 1/2 cup milk & salt (as per taste) in a bowl.
- Mix well using spoon by gradually adding water until batter has thick yet equal consistency
- Keep it asidehttps://wordpress.com/post/creativeme1807.wordpress.com/855 for next 15 mins.
- Now again stir the batter after 15mins, and add onion, capsicum, tomato, green chillies, coriander leaves in the batter. (if your batter gets very milky, add malai or yoghurt to get back the consistency)
- Mix well and again check for consistency. (Rava/Sooji absorbs water as time goes by and batter becomes thick) If required, add extra water or 1-2 tbsp milk and mix well to make sure that it has equal consistency.
- Heat non-stick tawa over medium flame. Add few drops of oil on the surface of tawa and spread it evenly using halved potato. This process helps the batter to easily spread over tawa.
- Now take a bread piece, spread this batter on one side of it. Place the bread on tawa now.
- Drizzle 1-teaspoon oil around the edge.Tawa should be on medium flame.
- Cook until color of bread with batter changes from white to off-white and turns light brown for approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Now flip it gently and cook another side of the bread. If you want, you can apply batter on other side of bread also, after placing the first side on tawa. Cook it properly then.
Now our dish is ready.Place the bread on the plate. You can garnish it with chili flakes and oregano also. Serve it hot with Sause or Chutneys.Gives you a Pizzaaaa feeling !!
Please try and share your views 🙂 Have a good healthy start of the day !!
Blogging is about giving more than it is about getting.
Follow me on Zomato
Follow me for more foodie pics on InstaHandle @ creativeme1807
Find my special Ingredients by clicking here:
Click here to learn New coconut recipes
NEW LAUNCH: SAMSUNG GALAXY C9 PRO – Open for Pre-order , click the image below (Release Date: 20th Feb) –6 GB RAM, 4000 mAh Battery, Gold & Black variants
Want to learn VB Macros or Excel.
Matte Lipstick..Wanna buy